What you should do to treat live termites in loose timbers?
Don’t disturb them anymore. Termites, by instinct, will immediately flee back to their nest if they feel threatened; it’s a survival mechanism. You might think they’ve gone, but they will be back!
Call Conquer Termites now to arrange for one of our Technicians to apply a non-repellent transfer product called Termidor. Termidor is ideal for this kind of treatment as it is safe and effective in treating termites in loose timbers and in soil.
Panic option - don’t do
Follow the above advice. Don’t pick up all the timber and put it in the wheelie bin and think the problem is solved. Don’t rush off to Bunnings and buy a proprietary product that is unsafe and not the best approach.
- Never have timber in contact with the ground. Even treated timber eventually becomes susceptible to termites as the protection deteriorates with time.
- Ensure posts are concrete or steel and if they are timber, make sure they are separated from the ground by stirrups.
- Use non-edible material when you landscape – why give the foraging termites a restaurant?
- Get any large tree checked by one of our Technicians.
- Remove tree stumps
- Prevent any excessive and continuous moisture in your garden (leaking tap, broken pipe). Termites need to “gas up” on water before eating timbers.
It’s normal to have termites foraging in your garden all year round, particularly in South-East Queensland, where we have warm temperatures and ample moisture. Should you do something about it – absolutely. Don’t buy into the “urban myth” that they’ve politely not visited your home if you leave the termites alone. It’s just not that convenient. Actually, if you don’t kill the termites in your garden, you’ll just be allowing the colonies to build up numbers to the optimal size, so when they find a concealed point of entry into your home, they will cause maximum damage.
There will always be termites foraging through your garden. You can’t stop them from coming from neighbouring properties, but you can reduce and even eradicate the nest by installing a baiting program.
5 star service
We pride ourselves on delivering quality customer service and support. As a family owned and operated organisation we understand the importance of excellent service and customer care.
There is no such thing as a silly question - We strive to help